Wednesday, February 4, 2009

American Literature Class


So, I must admit that I have been slacking as far as this blog goes. I have 2 long entries and nothing else. I really could be talking about more of the experiences that I have been having at the University of Wolverhampton. Today, right now at least (because I may have another entry today) I will be talking about my experience in my American Literature Class.
So, the classes here at Wolverhampton are once a week. And the class can last from 2 hours to 4 hours I believe. Which just drives me absolutely insane. Have you sat in a 3 hour class? Gosh, its ridiculous no matter how enjoyable the subject matter. Anyways. Today I had American Literature from 9 to 11. I took this class to get a British perspective on American Literature but that's just ironic because I hate different perspectives. I just have to come out and say it. It's weird, but I find myself annoyed in this class. Really. And I think it's the American in me. Being an American is not all negative. But I do think theres a certain persona/personality that comes from being from the most powerful richest country in the world. You think you know everything and your opinion is gold. When really, it isn't. Mine isn't. I was humbled today. Even though I still believe what I said. I guess I should just tell ya then explain myself.
Today we read "The Gilded Six-Bits" by Zora Neale Hurston. We are in the African-American section of the class (which pisses me off but to the credit to this professor we do read Toni Morrison later in the class so Black literature isn't totally marginalized) and I love the Harlem Renaissance. It's my favorite period. If not for the Harlem Renaissance we wouldn't have the great authors we have today. To make a long story short I disagree with his interpretation of the short story. Period. I think it's too in depth and naive. If that makes any sense. I think its a simple love story with a lot of symbolism. A man and woman are in love and have a routine in their life (even if this routine seems sexist, we have to put the story in context) and its interrupted by Greed. Evil. But the professor believes that the relationship they have is like child and father and he treats her like a little girl and that its about debunking the stereotypes of Blacks at the time. I can see where he gets this from but I disagree. But why on earth do I have to proclaim this! Everyone does not need to know that I disagree and I don't need to correct him so he gets his interpretation in line with mine. Its ridiculous. I asked for the British interpretation of American Literature and I got it. I am not there to teach them and I am not there to be praised. It is as simple as that. But I complicate things with my ego.
It frustrates me. Because of course, I came home and I researched different analysis. Who am I kidding, I researched analysis's that supported my own interpretation and theres plenty of them. But Literature can be interpreted in so many different ways. I just felt so uncomfortable after I made it clear that I disagreed. It was definitely not disrespectful but it brought negative attention on myself. I need to quiet myself. Quiet my ego. No one can say what's what about any literature except the author. And I am not Zora Neale Hurston. And may she rest in peace.


No comments: