Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I think I am Done

I have a resentment. I want to talk about it because I just need to.

I am resentful at The Fat Acceptance movement. Why you ask?

It is way too simplistic. And it appears to think that any weight gain is a natural weight gain. I say this because whenever people talk about gaining weight when it conerns fat acceptance, the response is that your body is doing what it is meant to do. The idea of restricting food is horrible because it is a "diet" and not accepting your body. And if you lose weight, well your certain to gain it back. I am just so confused by this movement and therefore I give up.

The other part of the movement I already believed it. Fat is not a moral issue (My ed tells me other wise but the intellectual me knows better. Too bad the intellectual me doesnt run my life) and fat people should not be discriminated against. Also, people shouldnt assume fat people are unhealthy and that fat people are fat because of their diet.

My issue is that I think the fat acceptance movement doesnt want to admit that some fat people ARE fat because of their diet and have a RIGHT to decide that they do not want to be that way (or do want to be that way). My other issue is that the fat acceptance movement screams that fatness is complex and that studies need more research but then on the other side they seem to know it all when it comes to fat people who want to lose weight and how they will for certain gain it back and how few people can do this and also that fat does not cause any health issues.

I just have a problem with the fat acceptance movement when it relates to having an eating disorder because no one wants to talk about how some of these beliefs can harm people with eating disorders, like not trying to change your weight.

That being said, overall, I dont believe that the movement is "dangerous." Thats bullshit. I think that depending on who you are, if you have an eating disorder and etc, it can confuse you.

I am done with my rant. Have I ranted on this subject before? I think so.

1 comment:

Bri said...

Hi! I feel a lot of anger and frustration coming from your post and if those are the sorts of attitudes you have encountered, I can see why you would be angry and frustrated! I am heavily involved in Fat Acceptance and write a blog about it etc and I don't agree with some of the attitudes/opinions you have seen! I think it is important not to paint the entire FA movement with one brush because there are plenty of different ideas and opinions amongst us. I would love to talk to you more about it, if you want to. I think there IS a place for people like you within FA and I would love to talk to you about your concerns, not to 'convert' you but just to show you not all FA think the same. Drop me an line via my blog if you want to chat. Either way, I hope your recovery goes well and wish you all the best.